We’ve said it before:
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
But did you realize that a recruiter’s initial impression of you as a job candidate may actually start forming well before the interview? It’s true – and it’s up to you to make sure that opinion is a positive one.
So today, we’re offering a little help. Here are 4 sure-fire ways to make a great impression on a recruiter – before you ever even say a word!
1. Clean up your digital footprint.
You’re probably using the internet to research potential employers and their opportunities. Once you apply for one of their jobs, those same employers are likely to check you out online, too. They want to find out where you’ve worked, whom you associate with, and what you’re involved in outside of work.
Make sure you control what they find. Before you apply, self-Google several variations of your name to see what comes up – and what you may need to clean up. The process may sound vain, but it’s an important step in protecting your online reputation and ensuring your viability as a candidate.
2. Get an insider recommendation.
Do you know someone who works for your target employer? Don’t be shy. Ask for a recommendation! Even if the individual works in a different department, an internal referral can greatly benefit your candidacy. In a hiring manager’s eyes, an insider recommendation is reliable proof that you’re good at your job and will fit well within their organization.
3. Build your employment brand.
Demonstrate to a potential employer that you’re knowledgeable, up to date and a leader within your field:
- Get active on LinkedIn. Participate in relevant groups, post current news items related to your field, and build your authority within your industry.
- Start a professional blog to discuss news events, industry trends or lessons you’ve learned on the job.
- Update your social media sites with a professional photo, a personal branding statement and samples of your recent work (if applicable).
4. Have Personnel Staffing, Inc. present you as a candidate.
Top employers rely on us to hand-select the best candidates for their available positions. When we present you for consideration, we have the hiring decision-maker’s attention! Our recruiters know how to best present your experience, qualifications and soft skills to give you an edge over your competition.